Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Favorite Things

Holdyn has been having a rough week. He hasn't been sleeping well and so I knew something was up. He started to get sniffely and ornery yesterday and by the afternoon, his nose had serious tissue burn! Yesterday happened to also be Guy's birthday. (Happy Birthday Grandpa!) So we went to dinner with the Monty's. Not only was Holdyn sick, it was also past his bedtime so he was extra ornery. He didn't want to sit in his chair and he was throwing things at Aunt Nicole and Cousin Ryn. I bet they were thrilled they got stuck next to the demon baby! Anyway, I decided this would be one of the nights that I get my dinner to go and I chase the baby while everyone eats. I was strangely okay with that (and everyone who knows me knows that it IS strange because I very rarely pass up eating!) and actually excited to play with my little boy and see his excitment while discovering this new environment. It was extra crazy, exhausting, and a lot of fun.

Today, a friend told me about a blog written by a women who lost her 14 month old baby girl in an accidental drowning this past June. She writes very beautifully and honestly. She has made me even more grateful that we have a healthy, happy 14 month old. And I am so appreciative fo every moment I get with Holdyn, even crazy nights like last night. This is her website http://adailyscoop.blogspot.com/. This website will make you cry, but hopefully it will also make you appreciate your loved ones more. In one of her posts, she asks her readers to take a minute and write down the little things your child does and your favorite things they do. Here are my favorite things about Holdyn:


His absolutely perfect face

His smile lights up his face and mine

His tired laugh

How he swings a bat

His dimples

How much having him has made me appreciate quality time with Cory

He says, "Kaboom!"

He puts his head against mine (very softly) and says, "Bonk!"

His grin and delight when he sees me or Cory in the morning

How he dances by shifting his weight back and forth on his legs

When I rock him before bed and he curls up as close as he can get to me and closes his eyes

When he reads to me while I change his diaper

His mischevious look when he looks at me after he touches something he knows he's not supposed to

Looking in the back seat and seeing his hands wave around to the music

The smile on his face when his dad pushes him around in his car

When he blows on his food

His smile when he swings

How much he LOVES to be outside

That he goes to bed at 7:30!

That he smiles at every stranger that looks at him. He has made so many people smile just by smiling at them

How having him made my relationship with my mom even better

How he watches his aunts in wonder as they play

How when I ask him for a bite, he puts his cheek next to my mouth so I can bite it

How cautious he is

How easily he laughs

When he "bonks" himself in the head with his bats

How perfectly straight he can throw a ball

How he makes every single day exciting and how much more fun holidays are with him

His kisses


I love you Holdyn. You have changed me forever and I am so thankful for everything you have taught me... Patience, Love, Self Control, Fun, and so much more.



4 comments:

Jess said...

Super sweet Taylor!

montysblog said...

My favorite thing is how he throws everything at me!! We love you Holdny!

Sara and Nick said...

Oh how sweet! I can't wait to experience that mother and baby bond! Well take that back I can wait, but you know what I mean!

Gibbons Family said...

Alright that almost made me cry and I didn't even read the website... Damon is 14 months old and I couldn't imagine loosing him now! I am going to have to do the same list!!! Thanks for the advice. You are so sweet!