Thursday, June 18, 2009

Friends

I have had the same basic group of best friends for 8 years. Other friends have left my life and others have come into my life, but these 4 girls have always been there. We sometimes go awhile without speaking to each other because life gets busy and distracting. But as soon as we're in the same room with each other, it's like we're right back in high school. I love these girls. I have been lucky enough this past month to see them more than usual and I can tell a difference in how I feel after I've been with them. Spending time with them is good for my soul.

Jamie is the friend I can talk to about anything and everything. She's the only one who is a mommy so far. She just had baby Brody and I am more than thrilled for her. It is an indescribable feeling to see someone you love go through this amazing experience for the first time. Desi is the friend who gives me the very best advice. She makes me feel so much better about things. When I am down on myself, she knows exactly what to say to make me realize I'm a pretty strong woman. She completely cares about the advice she's giving me, she's not just saying words so hurry the conversation. She can somehow help me look at things in a way I've never seen them. I always walk away from our conversations with a sense of clarity.

Nessa is the friend I can relate to domestically! Although she is not married nor does she have kids, she is like me in the sense that marriage and children are the most important things in life. So we relate really well to each other. Plus, she wants to be a sex therapist so you can imagine the fun conversations we have!
And last but not least, Kristen... who can make sitting in my basement fun by having the idea to decorate our wine glasses! She always thinks of fun things to do and seriously makes me feel like a kid again. She is so adventurous, always travelling to different countries and doing fun things. And she's a flight attendant so I get to hear funny flying stories. I get such a kick out of her stories :) She's met Prince Charles and many other celebrities, rode camels, ate dinner 160 feet in the air in Dubai, travelled to too many countries to list, but is still that down to earth girl from high school. I got to spend all weekend with her and although I didn't feel great, she made it so fun :)
One of my favorite things about these girls is how great they are with Holdyn. They love him so much. He calls Jamie "Aunt Jamie," and talks about her baby all of the time. He is so excited to meet Brody! Some of these friends can't wait to have babies and some of them don't want babies at all, but they are all so good with Holdyn and love to play with him. They don't mind hanging out with me and my loud kid!

I love how different all my friends are. Although we all have similar things that tie us together, we are all EXTREMELY different. They each bring something unique into my life. It takes effort to remain friends for this long and I appreciate every one of my friends for taking that time. You are all so important to me and I can't wait to be 80 and laying by the pool with my portal friends raft racing :)

3 comments:

Elisha said...

What a great post Tay! You know that I've had the same group of friends since 8th grade...18 years! Ok, I feel old now. Anyway, my point is that these friendships are so amazing and really do last a lifetime. Through all the changes life brings, the 4 of us still have a connection. Whether it has been 3 days or 3 months, even though some of us live in other states, we just pick right up where we left off. I love and adore my girlfriends and I love to see that you girls have the same type of friendship. It makes life that much more wonderful to have long lasting girlfriends!!!

The Montys said...

I think you should be so proud of yourselves to have kept those friendships going for 18 YEARS!!! That's amazing :) It's easy to fall out of contact with friends, but when you really need someone, there's not anyone quite like your girlfriends! We are very lucky to have awesome friends :)

Kirby Chandler Monty said...

umm who's the blonde girl in your wedding picture....she better be your friend too huh??? huh??? hahha jk